My mother has always made the best bread dough and this recipe came from her. I only made a few changes to make it a little more healthy. I love making healthy substitutions on loved recipes.
WHOLE WHEAT PIZZA DOUGH
Yield: makes 2 thick crust pizzas or 4 thin crust pizzas
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 1-1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 3-3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1-1/2 tsp. salt
- 1-1/2 tsp active dry yeast or 2 tsp rapid rise yeast
- Flour hands lightly. Shape dough into ball. Divide ball in quarters for thin crust (half for thick crust). Press each ball of dough into a greased, 12 inch pizza pan forming a 1 inch edge.
- Cover and let stand for 15 minutes
- spoon tomato or pizza sauce over dough, top with skim mozzarella cheese and toppings of your choice. For a healthy pepperoni use turkey pepperoni.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes at 400 degrees F or until the cheese is bubbly and crust is golden brown. Let cool and enjoy!