Before trying this recipe I had only eaten quinoa savory, but this sweet version is just as good and a yummy and different breakfast idea!
COCONUT BREAKFAST QUINOA
Yield: Makes 4 (1/2 cup) servings
- 1/2 cup quinoa, rinsed well and drained
- 1 cup coconut milk (from a carton, not a can)
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract or vanilla extract
- Fresh berries
- Shredded coconut, toasted if desired
- Toasted silvered almonds
- Additional coconut milk
- Honey or agave syrup
- Place rinsed and drained quinoa, coconut milk, brown sugar, and almond extract in a medium sized pot. Stir ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover pit, preferably with a clear lid, so you can see through it. Stir a few times during cooking. If mixture seems to be boiling out, crack the lid to release steam’ otherwise, keep covered.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes, until liquid is absorbed. In the last few minutes of cooking, feel free to add a little more liquid until desired consistency is reached.
- Divide quinoa into bowls and top with fresh berries, coconut and toasted almonds, and a splash of additional coconut milk. If desired , add a drizzle of honey or agave.