Summer is coming and the recipe just screams SUMMER!!!!
KALUA PORK SLIDERS WITH PINEAPPLE-MANGO SLAW
Yield: Makes 24 servings
- 3 pounds boneless pork shoulder roast
- 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons liquid smoke
- 2 cups shredded purple cabbage)cut shreds into about 1-inch pieces)
- 1/2 red bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 rib celery
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- 3 heaping tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1/2 cup diced mango
- 1/2 cup diced pineapple
- 3 tablespoons light mayonnaise (or fat free plain greek yogurt)
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 heaping teaspoon orange zest
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
24 Hawaiian sweet rolls
- Rinse pork roast and pat dry. Pierce entire roast with a fork. Drizzle liquid smoke over roast and rub in on all sides. Sprinkle salt all over roast. Place roast in a slow cooker and cook on low 8-10 hours or until the meat shreds easily with a fork.
- Remove roast from slow cooker and place on cutting board. Pour out all juices into a fat separator or a glass measuring cup. Shred meat with two forks and discard any extra fat. Return meat to slow cooker. Skim fat off settled liquid and pour remaining juices back onto pork until moistened and flavored as desired.
- About 15 minutes before pork is finished, mix slaw ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whisk dressing ingredients together in a small bowl and then pour over slaw. Toss to combine. Chill in refrigerator until ready to to use.
- To serve, cut rolls in half and top with 1 ounce (about 2 tablespoons) pork and 2 tablespoons slaw mixture.
*To skip steps 1 and 2, I purchased a smoke roasted shredded pork at Costco and warm up as directed.